Hazard: Approximately 100 employees are fatally injured and approximately 95,000 employees are injured every year while oper- ating powered industrial trucks. Forklift turn- over accounts for a significant number of these fatalities.
- Train and certify all operators to ensure that they operate forklifts safely.
- Do not allow any employee under 18 years old to operate a forklift.
- Properly maintain haulage equipment, including tires.
- Do not modify or make attachments that affect the capacity and safe operation of the forklift without written approval from the forklift’s manufacturer.
- Examine forklift truck for defects before using.
- Follow safe operating procedures for pick- ing up, moving, putting down and stacking loads.
- Drive safely--never exceed 5 mph and slow down in congested or slippery surface areas.
- Prohibit stunt driving and horseplay.
- Do not handle loads that are heavier than the capacity of the industrial truck.
- Remove unsafe or defective forklift trucks from service.
- Avoid traveling with elevated loads.
- Assure that rollover protective structure is in place
- Make certain that the reverse signal alarm is operational and audible above the sur- rounding noise level.