Hazard: Failure to recognize the hazards associated with chemicals can cause chemical burns, respiratory problems, fires and explosions.
- Maintain a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for each chemical in the facility.
- Make this information accessible to employees at all times in a language or formats that are clearly understood by all affected personnel.
- Train employees on how to read and use the MSDS.
- Train employees about the risks of each hazardous chemical being used.
- Provide spill clean-up kits in areas where chemicals are stored.
- Have a written spill control plan.
- Train employees to clean up spills, protect themselves and properly dispose of used materials.
- Provide proper personal protective equipment and enforce its use.
- Store chemicals safely and securely.